The Energy Academy and the Scottish Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association invite you to take part in a free to attend workshop which explores potential use of graphene in the fuel cell and energy sector. Some of the application areas for this versatile material in the energy sector include:
- Materials for supercapacitors
- Development of biosensors
- Development of microbial and enzymatic fuel cells
- Membrane applications in fuel cells and electrolysers
- Gas separation membranes
- Electrode materials for Li-ion and Na-ion batteries
This ‘Graphenes in Energy Innovation Opportunities’ workshop will highlight the energy sector applications for graphene, and help forge links between potential industry and academic partners in Scotland and beyond. Confirmed speakers include:
- Lien Ngo, Innovate UK: Graphene activities and developments
- Prof David Bucknall, Heriot-Watt University: Graphenes for Energy Sector Applications
- Kerry-Ann Adamson, 4th Energy Wave: Graphene HFC early market opportunities
- David Hodgson, PV3 Technologies: Taking Electrochemical Materials to Market
- Michael Ellis, Ellis IP: Develop and implement a value-adding IP strategy
- Rd Graphene Ltd: Energy Applications for Low Cost 3D macro-Graphene
The speaker profiles reflect the wide range of applications and interest in graphene:
- Dr Lien Ngo, Innovation Lead- Advanced Materials, Innovate UK. Lien is responsible for helping businesses exploit completely novel substances, such as two-dimensional materials and nanomaterials, as well existing materials, such as high-performing composites and light metal alloys. She also work closely with the Emerging and Enabling Technologies team and with Research Councils UK
- Professor David Bucknall, Heriot-Watt University. Chair of Materials Chemistry at Heriot-Watt. Prof. Bucknall’s research interests are in areas associated with polymer interfaces and morphology, functionalized polymers and nanocomposites. His research exploits neutron and x-ray scattering as primary advanced characterization tools.
- Dr Kerry-Ann Adamson, CEO, 4th Energy Wave. Kerry-Ann ran the highly regarded Fuel Cell Today for several years, and launched it consulting arm before setting up the Navigant Research global Smart Energy team. She is now the CEO of specialist consulting group 4th Energy Wave.
- Dr David Hodgson, CEO, PV3 Technologies Ltd. In taking a range of electrochemicalmaterials to market in batteries, hydrogen, water treatment and other applications, PV3 Technologies has developed a customer-led approach which focuses on customer need, rather than material properties.
- Michael Ellis, Patent Attorney, Ellis IP Ltd . Michael has wide experience of chemistry and chemical processes in both private practice and in a corporate IP management role. Michael's focus is on assisting clients develop and implement value-adding IP strategy by securing effective and efficient IP protection in line with commercial objectives.
- Rd Graphene Ltd. RD Graphene invented a design-for-manufacture process which allows the production of 3D Graphene foam, on any surface, at room temperature, in seconds, rather than hours. The applications of this include solid state supercapacitor(SSRDG), enzymatic bio-fuel cell; bio- and chemical sensor technology; filters and flexible and wearable electronics.